Bowl Turning Workshop
Spend a great day discovering how to turn a beautiful wooden bowl from British wood on the pole lathe with Geoff Hannis. From log to bowl, you’ll learn the following processes:
- Understanding the properties of different British timbers and choosing the right timber suitable for bowl turning
- Using a froe to split the wood and how to mark out a bowl ‘blank’
- How to use an axe safely
- Learning to attach a mandrel and how to mount your blanks to the lathe correctly
- Using and understanding different types of hand made turning tools
- Using a range of chisels on the pole lathe to turn the item
- Finishing touches
Best of all, not only will gain all this knowledge, but you’ll come away a beautifully turned wooden bowl of your very own.
The day can be physically demanding so you’ll need a practical level of fitness or a good level of stamina!
Geoff (@geoffhannis) has always been fascinated with working wood, however it wasn’t until 2018 that he discovered the joy of working green wood through the Cherry Wood Project and the Somerset Bodgers at Tyntesfield House. Having learnt from some of the best craftspeople in the country, he is delighted to offer courses in both spindle turning and bowl turning at Grow Wilder.